Information for Voters
Fairfax County Special Election
Tuesday, August 29, 2017
6:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Register to vote/ Update registration online
- General Voter Information
- Voter Registration Information
- Voter ID Requirements
- Early/ Absentee Voting
- College Students
[This page was updated on June 23, 2017 and reflects the latest information available for the August 29, 2017 special election in Fairfax.]
President Lyndon Johnson called the right to vote,
the most powerful tool ever devised by man to break down the walls of injustice. Voting is your fundamental right as an American, and the most basic means by which you have a voice in how your government works. Voting determines who will represent you, your family, and your neighbors in your community, your state, and your country. We need your help to get everyone registered to vote and to make sure every vote is counted in Fairfax County.
- Verify you are registered to vote at your current address
- Register to vote in Virginia
- Update your address or other voter information
THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER OR UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION IS TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2017 AT 5:00PM; ONLINE: 11:59PM. (Click here for more informtaion on registering to vote, including alternatives to online registration.)
The special election date is Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 6:00am - 7:00pm.
As long as you show up at the polls ON TIME (by 7:00pm), you cannot be turned away without voting on a machine or by casting a provisional ballot. Please be sure you are at your correct precinct polling location.
Virginia law requires all voters to provide an acceptable form of PHOTO identification (ID) at the polls. Please make sure you bring your PHOTO ID with you to vote.
2017 Special Election Calendar
- Friday, July 14, 2017 - in-person absentee voting (
early voting) begins.
- Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - Voter registration deadline for special election*:
- Postmarked if delivering application by U.S. Postal Service.
- 5:00pm if delivering application by fax, email, or in person (including third-party deliveries).
- 11:59pm if registering online.
- *If you are already registered at your current address, you do not need to register again.
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 5:00pm - Mail-in absentee ballot application deadline.
- Saturday, August 26, 2017, 9:00am - 5:00pm - Last day for in-person absentee voting.
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 6:00am - 7:00pm - SPECIAL ELECTION DAY (All absentee ballots must be RECEIVED by the Office of Elections by 7:00pm on August 29, 2017 in order to be counted for this election.)